In order to keep bagels fresh for the longest possible time, they must be properly stored.
Depending on how long you plan to store them, and how you plan on using them, different methods should be considered.
This section is for storing bagels for up to 3 days.
Store in a sealed plastic bag, in a cool dry place. Good places include
- Bread drawers
- Cabinets near a refridgerator
- Clean, insulated, and cool cellers (wine cellers are great for this)
Things to remember:
- Never store bagels near ovens, or in your car during summer. They will get soggy, and no one likes soggy bagels.
- Don't let bagels get crushed in their storage spaces
- Slicing bagels will make them get stale faster. Unless you're freezing them, don't slice them first.
If stored right, bagels can last up to 3-4 months in storage.
Freezing is the best way to do this. Remember to seal your bagels in a plastic bag, and keep in the freezer. Try not to refreeze, as this sometimes gets them stale. In the case of bagels with veggetable or fruit chunks, refreezing will cause the the fruit and veggies to get mushy, or spoil fast the next time you defrost them.
Using after storage and defrostingEdit
Work in progress.